Fresh corn on the cob, is in my opinion, one of the summers most delicious things. Its sweet… Its juicy… Its just perfect! And, Its so versatile too. You can eat it straight off the cob, put it in salads, cook it, grill it, or…. bake it!:-)
Here you go, Vegan Corn Cake With Caramel Sauce and its even gluten free!
- 90 g (1/3 cup) Rice milk
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 165 g (2/3 cup) pureed fresh corn (about 2 ears)
- 160 g (1 cup) Gluten Free flour from “Gluten fee Pantry”
- 60 g (1/2 cup) All Purpose Gluten free flour from “Bobs Red Mill” (or substitute with your favorite gluten free flours)
- 100 g (1/4 cup) Corn meal, regular or stone ground
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 85 g (1/2 cup) Coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
Turn the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a bundt baking form, or 8 inch loaf form.
Mix rice milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for 5 min.
Mix all the dry in a medium bowl.
The easiest way to get the corn off the cub, is to hold it upright and slice downwards with a large knife. Puree the corn in a food processor, make sure you have 2/3 cup puree, then add it to the milk. Stir in the vanilla.
To get the coconut oil to liquid form, measure it and then heat it in the microwave for 15 sec. Then add it to the milk-corn mixture and stir till combined.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir till fully incororated. Do not over mix. The dough will seem drier that regular cake batter, but thats just because its gluten free.
Then poor batter into prepared pan, and smooth out the surface. It might have a bit trouble “falling” into place itself. Bake for 30-35 min in the middle of the oven. Bake till a toothpick is inserted in the middle, and comes out clean. Cool on rack. When compleetly cool, turn out on plate and poor caramel sauce over.
- 85 g (1/3 cup) rice milk
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 50 g (1/3 cup) coconut palm sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot
- 1 1/2 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp Earth Balance margarine (optional)